Dear UTR members,
From Executive Board and UTR staff I would like to wish you a very prosperous and happy 2017.
I am incredibly humbled that I have been able to serve as your union President for the last 6 months. We have been able to accomplish so much in such a short amount of time. We are seen in the community as a valuable organization and leaders in education. I hope that we’re able to continue building partnerships with the community, parents, and leaders so that we can challenge the status quo and accomplish positive things for kids and educators.
In the next few months we will be presented with a lot of challenges but I welcome them since I know this organization and its members are the most resilient people I have ever met and we will overcome them together. In the next few months we will see challenges from charter schools, bargaining, changes in education nation wide, and possible policy changes that might affect not just our union but our positions. As we move forward this semester I hope that all of you will continue to get involved with UTR since we are only as strong as our numbers. We will also see a lot of positives and we will also celebrate those wins together.
The WCCUSD School Board is having a board meeting this Wednesday, January 3rd from 6:30 to 10:00 PM at DeJean Middle School. You may find the agenda with details HERE.
Some of the highlights from the meeting will be:
1. The District will recognize the contributions of members of our school community who have passed away; Alice Romero, Tremayne Childs, Sara Hoda, and Travis Hough.
2.Richmond Charter Academy will be having a public hearing to renew their contract. At this board meeting the board will hear a presentation from District staff and RCA staff around their academics and performance. The WCCUSD will make a decision by the first February Board Meeting. UTR will be fully opposing their renewal due to their disciplinary practices, communication, budget transparency, and parent involvement.
3. There will be an audit presentation about Measure G from the 2015-16 school year.
4. The board will be reviewing a proposal to increase sub pay from $117 dollars a day to $135 a day and the long term rate from $160.00 per day to $175.00 per day.
5. Superintendent Duffy will make a presentation about Dual Immersion and the plan to increase it in WCCUSD. The plan will talk about the expansion of Spanish DI programs and the introduction of Mandarin in WCCUSD.
6. The Board will review Resolution No. 55-1617: CalPERS California Employers’ Retiree Benefit Trust Program (CERBT).
7. The Board will be approving the college readiness block grant that WCCUSD will be getting for the upcoming school year.
I wish everyone a happy first week back to school.
President, United Teachers of Richmond CTA/NEA