Happy short week, only 2.5 days until a very well deserved break! Please excuse the long email but there are a some highlights from UTR as well as from the School Board meeting this week that I would like to make you aware of. I would like to wish everyone a very Happy Thanksgiving Break.
1. We had our second REP Council training on Thursday and it went really well. Thank you to all the REPS that came. UTR has not had REP trainings in a long time and we have been able to provide two so far. We plan on providing one final training in the spring.
2. This past Saturday we co-hosted the “New Teacher Gathering
” for all our new members. The event was hosted by WCCUSD, UTR, TIP, TFA, and PAR. We were able to have very successful sessions on classroom management, Trauma informed practices, and self-care/prioritizing. We had approximately 80 members attend. The superintendent himself did a session on classroom management and members seemed to enjoy themselves very much. We plan on co-hosting a second one in the spring for anyone who would like to join us.
3. This coming Monday UTR, the RYSE Youth Center, and the Mindful Life Project are hosting an event to talk about the national election results. UTR members will have chance to talk about the needs and emotions of our students as well as have a session on how to turn the anger and sadness into actions. We will have free dinner and childcare. The event will take place at the RYSE Center (205 41st St, Richmond, CA 94805) from 5:30 to 8:00 PM. The time counts towards our 10 hours of self-directed professional development.
4. The elections committee met to count the ballots for our CTA State Council Positions on Friday. Thank you to the elections committee for meeting Friday for over 4 hours to count the ballots. Announcements will be printed, posted, and sent to the sites on November 22nd.
5. Next REP Council Meeting is November 30th at Pinole Middle School from 4:00 to 5:30.
Highlights from the School Board Meeting
1. Board Members Enos and Groves were celebrated for their time at the WCCUSD School Board and for their commitment to our community.
This was their last school board meeting before Board member elect Mister Phillips and Tom Panas take over. UTR celebrated Board members Enos and Groves and wished them a very happy retirement. Board member Groves expressed his gratitude and love for our community and plans on continuing being involved and helping teachers and students. If anyone would like to email them to thank them for their time in the board you can email them at: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
2. The WCCUSD School Board announced and voted on the “Teacher Housing Task Force” which was presented a few weeks ago as an idea from our President in order to explore housing opportunities for our members on District owned land. Assembly member Tony Thurman, a representative from Congressman Desaulnier’s office, Supervisor John Gioia, Superintendent Duffy, Board Member Cuevas, Board Member Kronenberg, and our UTR President will be sitting on the Task Force.
3. The WCCUSD School Board voted unanimously to let Richmond College Prep expand from a prek-6 school to prek-8 grade school.
The District granted the RCP petition in 2005, and the school opened in 2006. In 2010, the board granted a renewal, and in 2015, a second renewal was granted until the year 2020. On Monday, September 19, 2016 the District received a Material Revision of the Richmond College Prep Charter. The petition states that the school wishes to expand from a Pre-K through 6th grade school, through the 7th and 8th grades. On Wednesday, November 2, 2016 the Board heard a presentation by the school leadership and staff, describing the program and plans for expansion.
4. WCCUSD Voted Unanimously to approve the agreement with the Adult Education Program Teachers/AB1200. Adult School has been in conversation and negotiations with WCCUSD for a few months in order to make this contract occur. We celebrate with our brothers and sisters from Adult School for your approval. Congratulations.
To see the School Board agenda or future agendas please go HERE
Once again, from your UTR leadership we wish everyone a very happy Thanksgiving Break.
President, United Teachers of Richmond CTA/NEA